Friday, November 22, 2013

Europe Day 21 - Part Four

So I think I mentioned, but we went to the Vatican for the Sistine Chapel, kind of a must. All the other things are bonuses.

Beyond not realizing how huge the Vatican Museum is in general, there were a lot of painted ceilings I was totally unaware of. To be honest though, partly due to the fact that we knew we didn’t have a lot of time and that we were unprepared for the vastness, we were hitting processing overload. So we wanted to get to the ceiling before were just like “Okay yay another pretty thing.”

IMG_5707

That is not it.
But it was on the way there, and I really liked that hallway.

Sistine Chapel! Finally!


Okay I lied, more getting there:

IMG_5709

I loved this painted hallway, there are some more shots if you click through to my flickr. I honestly could have spent more time here, ‘cause while the actual chapel is gorgeous it’s so much further away and busy it was hard to focus.

IMG_5724

Down to the chapel! Don’t fall!

IMG_5729

IT IS SO MASSIVE

IMG_5731

IMG_5732

Obligatory.

IMG_5735

I wish I knew what his story was, I love his face and body language.

IMG_5743

I recognized the Biblical paintings (or most of them probably), but I don’t know much about Catholic dogma, so the stories of their saints  were lost on me.

IMG_5744

Love the feet. Is this a saint? I have no clue.

IMG_5748

You can kind of see how tall the ceiling is with E for reference.

IMG_5749

So much to look at!

IMG_5751

I really like how the four nudey men are totally indifferent to the centerpiece dude. “Oh this guy? Yeah I guess we share a ceiling, I never noticed.”

IMG_5753

There are benches lining the room, we snagged some seats after standing and staring for a long time, giving ourselves neck aches.

IMG_5758

Directly above my head.

IMG_5761

And that was taken from my lap pointing straight up.

We probably stayed in there about an hour, which seems like not long, but it’s really not enough to see everything. But eventually it’s just too much to take in, and it’s a bit of an eyestrain since the ceiling is so high.

When we left the chapel there was another painted hallway with things.

IMG_5766

And then we left.

One last part to this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment