Thursday, February 5, 2015

Thailand Day 7 - Part One

Finally getting back to posting!
Now that I’ve got my cardreader again.

Anyway, tour day! We decided to do a tour, I don’t remember exactly why we settled on this tour, just that we had some misgivings about the ethics of the Tiger Temple and didn’t have enough time to really research it (plus what I did read was super polarized, and very emotionally charged, further muddying the waters), so I know that was a factor. We had breakfast at the hostel and then hung out until the tour came and picked us up.

 IMG_5744

All the flowers made me nostalgic for India!


 IMG_5750

I have no idea what this is for but it amused me!


IMG_5752

This was on a streetlamp the bus just happened to stop in front of.

So we got to Kanchanaburi and then split up on our respective tours. They actually parked right outside Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, that was sad :/

We looked around a little then grabbed some fried bananas and loaded into a cab thing.

IMG_5756

Mmm fried things.


IMG_5757

I can’t remember if I talked about this in other posts, but anyway the cab was this covered open air seating area on the back of a pickup. We of course made many jokes about kicking people off.

 IMG_5766

And then to Erawan!

 IMG_5767

And its wonderful Engrish :D


IMG_5764

Also I thought these were fun.

So this whole thing was a “Well, clearly did not research THAT enough” deal, though it was all fun!

Erawan would have been lovely to spend the whole day there, I had no idea it was so vast. It’s billed as “7 waterfalls” but when I looked up pics, what little I did, there was this one picture that showed a multi-level waterfall that was really very beautiful. I thought that whole thing was Erawan. But no! It’s 7 distinct waterfalls that you hike to.

 IMG_5770

Those numbers are the km between each waterfall, you can see the top waterfall a bit, that’s what I thought the whole thing was.


IMG_5773

This is the first “step,” Hlaieunlung.

IMG_5775

The water is incredibly clear!

 IMG_5782

Beyond the 7, there were all these other waterfalls inbetween, all striking in their own ways!

IMG_5788

This is step 2, Wang Mut Cha.

 IMG_5796

This is nothing! I don’t know that Wang Mut Cha is that much more impressive? So I don’t know why they chose some over others as “official” waterfalls.

 IMG_5793

Some like this one were much smaller though.

 IMG_5797

The never ending path! I really hate stairs.

IMG_5798

But the views made it totally worth it!

 IMG_5800

Step 4 was Oag Nang Pee Suar, and this is the best shot I got of it:

 IMG_5806

Because we naturally wanted to slide down the rock after seeing everyone else do it.
Again poorly researched, we should have brought swimsuits!

IMG_5811

So I saw this leaf. What of it? Just a leaf right?

IMG_5812

Just a GIANT leaf!


IMG_5814

My Totoro moment.


IMG_5815

Then we attempted the climb to Step 5, and again lots of little waterfalls on the way.

 IMG_5826

But alas, we didn’t make it before we had to turn around to go back to our bus/taxi/thing.
 
IMG_5835

Back at the entrance we had yummy lunch before heading to our next destination!

No comments:

Post a Comment