Thursday, May 14, 2015

Thailand Day 10/Cambodia Day 3 - Part Three

When I remembered to, I took pictures of the signs so I’d know where we were!
This next temple was a complex called Angkor Thom.
Well, kind of. Prasat Bayon is actually in that complex. So this is the rest of it!

IMG_6562

It looks big, but it wasn’t nearly as large as Angkor Wat!

More after the break

IMG_6565

I took this with people on it to show how steep the steps were.

IMG_6566

Steep as they were, this isn’t the steepest!

IMG_6567

View from the top!

IMG_6570

In this complex we walked from one temple to the next, there were these doorways or gates and I’m not quite clear on if they were always just free standing or if they were once attached to a larger structure.

IMG_6572

Lots of rubble may suggest there was something larger?

IMG_6573

I know it’s sad that these structures have fallen and all, but I really like the aesthetic of the moss covered rocks and free standing doorways.

IMG_6579

It was so peaceful here! I really loved the walking in the shade between the temples, it was way more restful than jumping in the tuktuk and speeding to the next place.

IMG_6580

More steps!

IMG_6581

This is what a side without steps looks like.

IMG_6584

The only way we could get the background in was an up the nose shot… sorry.

IMG_6585

I really can’t get over how pretty everything was.  I think this was the Phimeanakas Temple.

IMG_6589

I wonder how much of this was rebuilt, it looks like blocks will just fall right out.

IMG_6590

All this moss made me think of Spirited Away, one of my favourite Ghibli films 8D

IMG_6595

Sure made a great picture!

IMG_6601

Another gate. I know the moss is bad for it and all, but I liked the mossy ones better.

IMG_6603

I think this was part of a wall that used to surround the complex.

IMG_6611

Loved these elephant trunks!
I couldn’t believe how disrespectful people were being though, person after person climbed behind the ropes and hung off the trunks.

IMG_6616

It’d be a shame if a thoughtless tourist broke it ;_;

IMG_6618

This was the last area of this complex, there was a barrier around the facade to protect it from the elements, creating a corridor we walked through to see all the fancy carvings.

IMG_6621

At this point I’m starting to get tired, but there’s way more yet to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment