Friday, July 3, 2015

Thailand Day 11/Cambodia Day 4

Ah leaving Cambodia day.
This was sad, because when we came I was really feeling ambivalent about our choice to come here. But by the time we left I wished we had more time.

Some parting shots of our room at Gloria Angkor:

IMG_6803

(love that mini fridge!)



IMG_6801

IMG_6802

We had to be at the airport at 10:30, so we went down and had breakfast there around 8 and the plan was to leave our bags and just wander with our last hourish, buuuuut they said they took card, and we had a limited amount of USD with us and had counted on paying by card. Well their machine was down. So instead E hung out at the hotel (probably sleeping! Pretty sure she's narcoleptic) and I walked to the ATM and back, probably a 30 min roundtrip walk (there were closer ATMs but this was the closest that took a foreign card).
So got that sorted and then relaxed in the lobby a bit, drinking their delicious iced tea they provide (I don't know what it is, it's very pale almost like water, and sweet), then off to the airport!

IMG_6806

IMG_6804

Oh whoops, I was calling it "Old Town" but it's "Old Market." I read that a lot of backpackers like to stay in that area because of the nightlife. I'm not much of a nightlife person, so we chose to stay a little out of the way and closer to the temples. But that food was so good, and much more accessible (not much around us) that I may stay in that area if I come back.

IMG_6808

At the airport. I would have got this if we didn't still have a week ahead of us.

IMG_6809

We actually took two flights, one from Siem Reap to Bangkok, then another to from there to Chiang Mai. This flight on Air Asia was to Bangkok.

IMG_6811

Loading out on the asphalt! Really no big, but novel to me!

IMG_6813

Bye tiny airport!

IMG_6814

Walking walking.

IMG_6821

Being a straggler.

IMG_6828

Bye Cambodia, hello again Thailand!

IMG_6831

Don Meuang Airport!

IMG_6837

While we waited for our flight to Chiang Mai (which was at 2 if I remember correctly) I was peckish but not hungry. Then I saw this. What is iiiit?

IMG_6838

I always like to see what McDonalds has in other countries, even if I don't eat there. It's just neat to see how they personalize it. But usually I do end up getting something, just to compare.

IMG_6835

Terrible pic, but McDonalds mooncakes! Who knew?

IMG_6840

So I got the little sundae thing.

IMG_6842

Yup. Rice and corn... on icecream. You could personalize this, but I told the lady to do it just like the picture XD
The rice wasn't bad! Not sure how I feel about the corn though.

IMG_6843

Nok Air gave us a little baggy with a snack and a drink, it was a little egg quiche type thing. Between that and the icecream, I was pretty set XD

So we got into Chiang Mai around 3, we got a cab to the hostel (like a real cab! Not a tuktuk!).
I can't remember the name of the hostel right now, when I do I'll let you know. I think I left a review already. But anyway, on hostelworld it's not clear at all what you're getting, they list what they offer BUT they don't offer all those rooms on hostelworld. So they say AC w/ TV and such, but in the tiny tiny print you see that on hostelworld you can *only* book the non-AC/fan rooms.
So it was confusing and it wasn't what we thought we were getting. But we were too tired to argue. It just really wasn't clear on the booking site :/
Anyway, some blurry pics of the room:

IMG_6845

IMG_6844

(that might actually be in the morning, 'cause clearly I at least flopped there).

After we settled in, and spoke with the people a little about our confusions, we took a walk to 7/11 to get big bottles of water. There were some vendors around the front and so we also bought some steamed buns, some were different than what I'd seen before but it looks like I neglected to take a picture.
We pretty much just wandered a little but mostly relaxed for the rest of the evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment