Monday, March 23, 2015

Thailand Day 10/Cambodia Day 2 - Part Two

From Banteay Srei we went to the Cambodia Landmine Museum before heading to Banteay Samre.

IMG_6227




Wow depressing.

IMG_6216

It was founded by a man called Aki Ra who was a child soldier in the Khmer Rouge and laid thousands of mines before defecting in 1987.

IMG_6223

Today he believes he’s cleared more than 50,000 mines but has now retired.

IMG_6225

He opened this museum in 1997 and has taught other people how to clear mines and I believe this organization is still active in clearing.

IMG_6224

It’s also an orphanage/school for landmine victims/orphans of landmine victims. This is some art made by one of them out of old mines and weapons. It was very educational, and incredibly sad.

IMG_6228

And a little weird to come out and see all this lovely green on a bright day.
From there we headed to Banteay Samre.

IMG_6229

These stalls on the side of the road looked like mini restaurant type things, getting ready for dinner.

IMG_6237

And Banteay Samre!

IMG_6240

Banteay Samre is pretty much the same as Banteay Srei in layout/form, but not nearly as well preserved.

IMG_6242

If I recall correctly it’s actually newer, by 100 years, than Banteay Srei.

IMG_6244

Temple cat!

IMG_6253

I think I remember reading that Banteay Srei was buried or something, and that’s why it’s so well preserved.

IMG_6252

Samre was better for clambering around I think.

IMG_6255

And it was still beautiful! But it might have been better to go here first, and then to Srei.

IMG_6264

Srei was so well maintained though, it felt “new,” while this place really felt old and mysterious.

IMG_6268

And it did still have bits of detail.

IMG_6269

And these lovely carved ceilings, which I’m not sure Srei had (or maybe I didn’t notice them there).

IMG_6273

I wish I knew the stories on the carvings though!

IMG_6274

They look exciting.

IMG_6277

IMG_6298

I want my foundation to look like that!

IMG_6300

I also thought it was interesting how much darker Samre was from Srei, I don’t know if it’s a different kind of stone, or being exposed to the elements longer, or what. But interesting.

IMG_6316

These corridors go all the way around the perimeter.

IMG_6317

And we exited!

IMG_6321

Across the street we were pressured into buying some coconuts (wow yeah, they just do not let up on you). But we were thirsty anyway, which is why we caved.

IMG_6324

Plus coconut is delicious.
E’s coconut was NEVER ENDING. She drank while I drank, I finished. I looked around. She still drank. Finally she couldn’t drink anymore, so I drank from it… and drank… and almost gave up really.
I do wonder how much liquid was in that thing.

To be concluded!

No comments:

Post a Comment