Friday, January 10, 2014

Europe Day 26 - Part Two



From Newgrange we went to Old Mellifont Abbey, which is basically an Abbey in ruin from the 12th century that is special because it’s  the first that used the cross shaped chapel area (that they know of).


IMG_0048


There was a tiny tiny visitor’s center with a little museum area talking about the architecture, and the history of the place. Basically it was built onto over hundreds of years before being abandoned after some battle in… the 1600s? Or thereabouts. So there’s lots of different kinds of architecture.


Yay ruins!



IMG_0049


IMG_0031


I don’t remember what this bit was called, but it stood apart from the main ruins.


IMG_0032


Which are these. Mostly.


IMG_0034


These little details that you can still make out were so neat.


IMG_0038


Sitting in what remains of a stairway! Look how narrow @.@


IMG_0040


I want one of these in my yard.


IMG_0054


I like this pic, ‘cause just mins after E gave me this “wtf kind of pose is that” look, she did the same thing.


IMG_0060


But she’s crazy.


IMG_0048


The other side of the roundish thing. The picture I took of the map says it’s the “lavabo.”


IMG_0062


We were really excited to actually be able to touch things. So we did.


IMG_0066


A lot.


IMG_0070


I really wanted to climb all over everything, buuuut since the visitor’s center was within view I restrained… barely.


IMG_0082


Whatever we could jump in and out of though, we did. This is either the cellar… or the crypt.


IMG_0084


And then we moved on!

No comments:

Post a Comment